The Onesto Lofts are an accomplishment beyond words…

Next door is the next obstacle, Bliss Tower!


Bliss Tower was built between 1964 – 1965, by Onesto Hotel Company.

Brett Haverlick, Project Manager of Onesto Lofts and Bliss Tower gave us the opportunity to see the 12th and 13th floors!


In 1867, when Canton, Ohio gained a young attorney named William McKinley Jr. , Eliphalet William Bliss started making stamping presses in a small 40 by 20 feet loft in Brooklyn, New York.


From Forgotten New York:

In 1884, Dr. L. P. Brockett, the author of “The Manufacturing Industries of Brooklyn and Kings County” section of Henry L. Stiles’s History of Brooklyn, wrote that Bliss “has built up in a few years an immense business in machinery for drawing and stamping cold plates of tin, sheet iron, brass or copper, in all the required forms for household and manufacturing use.”  At the time, Brockett asserted, the factory building, occupying 27,000 square feet, was the largest of its kind in the world and employed between 300 and 350 people. By the early twentieth  century, the factory occupied 186,492 square feet and in 1912 employed 1,646 people in its DUMBO operations – 1,521 men and fifteen women. In 1906 the company briefly forayed into automobile production.


This immense factory was located in a neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York known as DUMBO.  DUMBO is an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.

E.W. Bliss Company came to Canton in 1950.  The Canton Development Corporation under the leadership of T.K. Harris, and E. Oscar Kuendig were responsible for bringing Bliss to Canton.

E. W. Bliss Raff Road

The former Naval Ordinance Plant located on Raff Road SW was converted to E.W. Bliss Company in 1950.

Now Bliss Tower, much like Hotel Onesto will be saved, and receive a new life!




A spiral staircase that extends from the eleventh to the thirteenth floors.




We hope to stay close to the progress of the Bliss Tower.

Thank you to Steve Coon, of Coon Restoration, and Brett Haverlick.

More Later…

Source: Forgotten New York