Stark County was founded on good tilling land that stretched far and wide. This land became fertile after the pioneer chopped down many many trees, put on his farmer hat, and began to “work” the land.
Welcome back to 70 Artifacts for 70 years! Look for our logo in platinum for the 70 years of the Stark County Historical Society!
Today we feature a photograph from our first year being the Stark County Historical Society.
Canton became the first center of plow manufacturing west of the Alleghenies. Joshua Gibbs born in Trenton, New Jersey in 1803 settled first in Cleveland, and finally in Canton. He was an established mechanic, and built a black smith shop in Canton, where the Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad tracks meet 4th street N.E. He married Barbara Schaefer in 1829 and together they had ten children. Joshua Gibbs’ farm land became one of the first additions to the city in the northeast.
Lewis Gibbs, one of the ten from Joshua and Barbara inherited his father’s love for invention. The original plow company Joshua began, and his sons Lewis, William and Martin continued seesed to exist in 1863.
John Rex Bucher with Lewis Gibbs founded Bucher, Gibbs & Company after Lewis sold his interest to John R. Poyser.